How to pay or contest a Statement of offence

How to pay or contest a Statement of offence

If you received a statement of offence, you have 30 days to either pay it or contest it. This period does not necessarily begin at the time the ticket was issued, but instead either at the time the inspector handed it to you, or at the time you receive it from a bailiff, by registered mail or any other way authorized by the Court.

Pay on time

Paying the fine and costs within the prescribed time limit will save you additional costs.

If you do not enter a plea within the prescribed time limit, this will be considered as a not guilty plea. In this case, a hearing will be scheduled and judgment rendered without further notice, i.e. without you being present. This may entail additional costs.

You have the right to seek legal counsel at any time.

How to enter your plea

You must enter your plea in one of the following manners:

  • By using the reply coupon on the statement of offence or the one your received afterwards;
  • By using the online plea form.

Pleading guilty and paying the fine

You are deemed guilty of the offence for which you were given the statement of offence, either (1) by transmitting the guilty plea form even if you don’t pay the fine at that time, or (2) by paying the total amount of the fine with costs as indicated on the statement of offence without any need in this case to enter a plea.

Payment can be made at any participating financial institution, online, by mail, by phone or in person.

Details and instructions regarding payment made to the Gouvernement du Québec can be found on this page.

You can communicate with the Bureau des infractions et amendes by phone at the following number: 1 866 536-5140, ext. 1.

Pleading not guilty

If you enter a not guilty plea, the clerk of the court will send you a notice of hearing stating the address of the courthouse, the date, time and court room for the hearing.

For your defence, you can present, with your plea of not guilty, the preliminary applications as defined in articles 168 to 186 of the Code of Penal Procedure.

Statement of offence for a parking violation

If you received a statement of offence for violating a municipal regulation regarding parking, we invite you to read the instructions on the back of the statement of offence on how and where to enter a plea and/or pay the fine.